U.S. Driving Tests for Foreign Nationals and New Arrivals

State-specific, exam-like questions

Questions almost exactly like the ones on the official DMV test

Select your state
Hispanic young woman who has just arrived in the US

Prepare for the U.S. driving test with our free practice exams

Our unmatched DMV practice tests help newcomers to the U.S. pass their official exams on the first try. Taking our tests makes drivers 73% more likely to pass than those who study the manual alone. Our test questions closely resemble those of the official exam so you’ll feel prepared.

The Best Way for New Arrivals to Study

Our tests provide immediate results so you’ll know right away if you’ve answered a question correctly. Plus, our tests provide explanations for each answer to help you better understand and retain the information.
This warning sign means
the road ahead curves to the right.
the road ahead curves to the right and then to the left.
a winding road.
sharp right and left turns are ahead.
The arrow represents the directions of traffic ahead.
This sign indicates a double curve ahead. The road ahead curves to the right and then to the left. (If there were a triple curve ahead, a winding road sign would be posted instead.) Slow down, keep right, and do not pass.
What does this sign mean?
There is a 35-degree curve ahead.
The minimum speed for this curve is 35 mph.
The maximum speed for this curve is 35 mph.
The recommended speed limit for this curve is 35 mph.
This is an advisory sign.
This sign states that the recommended speed limit for this curve is 35 mph.

Reasons to Get a U.S. Driving License

If you’ve spent any time in the U.S., you know how much we depend on car travel. In some places, not having a driver’s license can significantly limit your activities. That’s why many newcomers will want to obtain a driver’s license as soon as possible. In many cases, you’ll also be able to use your license as an ID. State-issued driver’s licenses are the primary identity document in the United States and are often used as photo IDs. You may need a photo ID in many different scenarios, such as when purchasing alcohol.

How to Get a U.S. Driver’s License

A newcomer might be able to exchange a home country license for a U.S. license, but others will be required to test for their licenses. There are two tests required to earn your driver’s license in all 50 states—the written exam and the road test. Find out more below.

The Written Exam

The written exam, or knowledge test, is a computerized test based on your state's DMV handbook. Many states will require you to pass this exam before moving on to the road test. Even if you have a foreign license, you may still be required to take the written exam in order to ensure you're familiar with U.S. driving customs and road laws.

Although learning new driving laws and customs can be intimidating, newcomers have many resources, including our practice exams. For most drivers, the written exam only has to be passed once for the entirety of their driving years.

The Road Test

The road test will put you behind the wheel, with an evaluator in the passenger seat. It is intended to assess your ability to safely operate a vehicle and follow state driving laws. The test typically takes place in the parking lot and on streets surrounding the DMV building.

All U.S. states require an applicant to pass a road test before being issued a license. However, some states will waive the DMV road test if you already hold a driver's license issued by certain foreign countries.

What Documents are Required to Get Your U.S. Driver’s License (and Other Frequently Asked Questions)

As mentioned above, driver's licenses are not issued by the federal government, but by the state in which you reside. Different states will require different qualifying documents, as will your status. For example, if you are a visiting student, you'll likely have to present your student visa, passport, proof of residency, and in some states, a social security card. Requirements would be different for Green Card holders or someone with a fiance visa, for instance. Check with your state's DMV to find out which documents you'll need or use our DMV Assistant.

Can I get a U.S. driving license while waiting for a green card?

In most cases, people with a pending green card status will be able to get a U.S. driver's license. You'll need to provide proof of pending status, your passport, and proof of residency in the state. Keep in mind that most states will not issue licenses that exceed the expiration date on your residency status documents.

Can I get a U.S. driving license without a Social Security Number?

In many states, you are required to have a Social Security Number before you are able to get your license. Some states accept Individual Tax Identification Numbers as a substitute. Check with your state's DMV.

How long can you drive in the U.S. with a foreign license?

Most states allow you to drive on a foreign license for up to three months, as long as it is accompanied by your passport. If you want to rent a car, you might need an international license, depending on the rental company. International licenses are typically good for one year of driving in the U.S.

Can I exchange my foreign license for a U.S. license? Or do I have to take the test?

This depends on what state you're in and whether your home country provides driver's license reciprocity for the state. In some cases, you'll simply need to exchange your foreign license and present the necessary identification and residency documents. In other cases, you'll be required to take the written and/or road test.

But rest assured, we have free practice tests to help you pass the written portion of the exam. Start studying today so you can start driving in the U.S.


Real people pass with Driving-Tests.org every day. Check out thousands of 5-star reviews.


Сheck out our free driving tests to help you pass the official DMV written exam.

Select your state

Recommended by DMVs and trusted driving organizations

Driving Tests Partner Logos